Current:Home > StocksFather of Palestinian American boy slain outside Chicago files wrongful death lawsuit -Dynamic Money Growth
Father of Palestinian American boy slain outside Chicago files wrongful death lawsuit
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 17:50:10
CHICAGO (AP) — The father of a 6-year-old Palestinian American boy fatally stabbed in what authorities allege was a hate crime has filed a wrongful death lawsuit.
Oday Al-Fayoume filed the lawsuit last month against the suburban Chicago landlord charged in the attack that left his child dead and the boy’s mother seriously wounded. The attack — which has renewed fears of anti-Islamic discrimination in the Chicago area’s large Palestinian community — has drawn condemnation from the White House.
Authorities allege Joseph Czuba, 71, targeted Wadea Al-Fayoume and his mother Hanaan Shahin, on Oct. 14 because of their Muslim faith and as a response to the war between Israel and Hamas. Czuba pleaded not guilty in October to hate crime and murder charges.
The wrongful death lawsuit filed Nov. 21 in Will County names Czuba, his wife, Mary Czuba, both of Plainfield, and their property management company, Discerning Property Management.
Joseph Czuba allegedly told his wife to inform Shahin he wanted the family gone from the apartment where they’d lived for two years. He also allegedly said he was afraid Shahin’s “Palestinian friends were going to harm them,” according to the lawsuit.
The lawsuit claims Mary Czuba and the management company “were indifferent and failed to recognize a threat and prevent serious bodily harm” to their tenants. A hearing is set for March 11.
“Justice comes in many forms … and there is, obviously, unbelievable loss in Wadea, but his mother also was injured seriously, and we believe that there are avenues to recover compensation for what the family’s been through,” said Ben Crane, Oday Al-Fayoume’s lawyer.
The Czubas do not yet have an attorney in the wrongful death case and Mary Czuba has filed paperwork to divorce Joseph Czuba, according to court records.
Czuba remains detained in Will County as he awaits a January hearing in the criminal case. His attorney, George Lenard, has said he won’t comment on the case outside court.
veryGood! (8283)
Related
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- Jury faults NY railroad -- mostly -- for 2015 crossing crash that killed 6
- Trump shooter's online activity shows searches of rally site, use of encrypted platforms, officials say
- Long Beach breaks ground on $1.5B railyard expansion at port to fortify US supply chain
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- TikToker Tianna Robillard Accuses Cody Ford of Cheating Before Breaking Off Engagement
- Vermont police now say woman’s disappearance is suspicious
- University of Florida president Ben Sasse is resigning after his wife was diagnosed with epilepsy
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Bob Newhart, Elf Actor and Comedy Icon, Dead at 94
Ranking
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- Kid Rock teases Republican National Convention performance, shows support for Donald Trump
- Some GOP voters welcome Trump’s somewhat softened tone at Republican National Convention
- When a Retired Scientist Suggested Virginia Weaken Wetlands Protections, the State Said, No Way
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- Nebraska governor seeks shift to sales taxes to ease high property taxes. Not everyone is on board
- Former Trump executive Allen Weisselberg released from jail after serving perjury sentence
- Jury returns mixed verdict in slaying of Detroit synagogue leader Samantha Woll
Recommendation
Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
Lou Dobbs, conservative political commentator, dies at 78
2025 MLB regular season schedule: LA Dodgers, Chicago Cubs open in Tokyo
Dominican activists protest against a new criminal code that would maintain a total abortion ban
Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
ACOTAR Book Fans Want This Bridgerton Star to Play Feyre in TV Show Adaptation
Appeals courts are still blocking Biden’s efforts to expand LGBTQ+ protections under Title IX
Michael Strahan’s Daughter Isabella Strahan Celebrates Being Cancer-Free